What is a Senior Citizen?
Unless you are a senior citizen, as I am, you may be tempted to think that “Senior Citizen” = “old person.” And if you’re thinking “old person” you may be putting us all into a category of real estate clients who are ready to:
- Move to a retirement community
- Move to a retirement home
You may also think we’re necessarily in poor health and / or have diminished mental capacity.
While those statements do apply to some, if you paint us all with the same broad brush, you’re sadly mistaken.
- Some seniors want to move to a location with more opportunities to attend concerts, plays, sporting events, etc.
- Some want to move to a condo, where someone else will take care of maintenance and they can be free to travel, pursue hobbies, do volunteer work, etc.
- Some want to move somewhere that they can raise a garden or keep some livestock.
- Some want to sell the house, buy a motor home (or mount a horse), and hit the road.
- Some are happily starting new careers as entrepreneurs. (Yes – some are becoming real estate agents!)
- Some are perfectly happy to stay in a house that’s become “too big,” so they’ll have room for children and grandchildren to come and visit.
In other words, senior citizens are just like any other age group – diverse.
Aside from being past the age of 55, about the only thing most (NOT all) of us have in common is that we’ve accumulated too much “stuff.” When we get ready to move, we face a huge job of sorting, packing the things we want to keep, and disposing of the rest.
That’s why, when I wrote the Senior Relocation prospecting letters, I was careful not to assume anything about the homeowner’s circumstances or future plans.
They’re filled with “you might” and “If you” statements. Many do mention the huge chore of packing and moving – while they offer assistance in the form of a list of trusted vendors who are available to help. They also offer to put the homeowner in touch with advisors who will show them how a sale will affect them financially.
If you’re interested in assisting senior citizens, these letters will help position you as a person who will help and advise – and never assume.
So get your set today – and get prospecting!